Sunday, August 24, 2008

A dose of fallibility

I discovered (probably re-discovered; it seems like a familiar fact) that interruptor, a word I used in an earlier entry, is not a dictionary-recognized word (at least as far as Google cares). On the other hand, interrupter is. I think that's bogus. A verb ending with -pt should totally have -or as the standard suffix to make it into a doer of the verb. For no reason other than I deem it should be so. If raptor is spelled the way it is (okay, okay, I know it has nothing to do with the nonexistent pastime of rapting), and adaptor is acceptable both ways (I'll take the -or ending, thank you very much), why can't we have interruptors?

I'm off to edit that entry.

By the way, I was surprised to find in the recent past that raptor does not solely refer to dinosaurs; in fact, it is considered almost exclusively a term for birds of prey. A hawk is a raptor, but a Komodo dragon (which I might have been misled to believe was one, based on the reptilian raptors of prehistory) is not. I know you're disappointed.

No comments: